Friday 8 October 2010

If I should quit by AG Missionary Charles E. Greenaway

I was so minister by this poem...
Do take time to read and ponder it's meaning...

by AG Missionary Charles E. Greenaway

If I should quit, what would the gain be?
Would the battle be lost? Would I really be free?
No, the door would not close, nor the battle cease,
Because God would have another to stand in the breach,
if I quit.

If I should quit, what would I do?
Seek shelter from the heat, forget the cry of the lost?
Would I be happy for a time, then find I was through--
And spend my time praying for something to do,
saying, “God, why did I quit?”

If I should quit, I would find that God had not;
the battle would still rage, the church would march on.
The wind would keep blowing, the Spirit infilling,
Only I would be farther and farther behind, unwilling,
Wondering, “God, why did I quit?”

If I should quit, what could I say to God who called me,
and the people who sent me, and the pagan who trusted me
to show him the way? And the Spirit’s urging day after day?
God, I can’t quit!

If I should quit, let it be when I am dead--
Not while I’m alive, nor when I’m dissatisfied,
nor when I’m criticized, or minimized, or ostracized,
but please, God, let quitting time for me be-
When I am dead!